This year is turning out to be the year of the “quinoa bowl meal”, and with good reason.
These meals are versatile, delicious, and SUPER CHEAP!!!!
We have all heard the complaint that it is simply too expensive to eat healthily and/or to eat gluten free. I would like to challenge any persons who says that to a cook off! At one point, my husband and I were both unemployed. Yet, we still managed to eat a plethora of fruits and vegetables, whole grains, and lean proteins. I made my own almond milk, baked my own gluten free bread, and we ate like kings on less than $150 a month. It is possible. You just have to want to do it and put forth the effort.
Okay… I will step off my soap box now.
It is currently snowing sideways, wet, and nasty outside. I knew that dinner needed to be something spicy that would warm me from the inside out. Out came the hot sauce, cumin, and salsa, and I was on my way!
PS – Guess who finally remembered to charge her camera battery? This kid!
Ole’ Lentil Budget Bowl
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 of a Yellow Onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup Broccoli, chopped
- 3 Tblsp frozen Peas
- 1/2 tsp Cumin
- 1/8 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 cup Beet Greens, chopped
- 1/4 cup Green Lentils, cooked
- 1/4 cup Quinoa, cooked
- 3-4 Tblsp Salsa
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- dash of Hot Sauce
- Melt oil in a saute pan over medium heat.
- Saute’ onion until translucent. Add Broccoli and cook until tender.
- Next, in go the frozen peas, and cook until defrosted.
- Sprinkle in cumin and chili powder, and add greens, cooking until just wilted.
- Add remaining ingredients and cook until heated through.