GF Guy has hit the road again. (sad face) It was a fantastic 2 weeks though. We explored the town & its many restaurants, took in a play & a ballet, & even had time for a walk in the park! I can’t wait until he comes out again, hopefully for good.
Last night, I arrived home from a long week in Pennsylvania to…. a kitchen!!!!!!
This is how I decompress. I walk in, toss my suitcase/bag in the bedroom, put away groceries, & immediately start cooking. I don’t even take off my high heels! (Which, in my opinion, every girl should wear. They make you feel so powerful!)
Even when I’m cooking for one, I will make what I want to make and freeze the leftovers. Just because it’s only me doesn’t mean I shouldn’t cook a grand meal! Last night, I was in the mood for some sort of vegetable soup. As usual, when I make soup, there was no initial recipe. It came together on its own accord and turned into the best soup I have ever made!!!!! Seriously… I was quite proud of myself!
I think it was the Kabocha Squash that put this soup over the top. It infused the broth with a light sweetness that mellowed out the acidity of the tomatoes. Kabocha Squash makes everything better!
Admittedly, I’m a dipper. How about you?
To dip, or not to dip? That is the question!
The Very Best Vegan Vegetable Soup
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free, Vegan)
- drizzle Olive Oil
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 2 stalks Celery, chopped
- 1-2 Carrots, chopped
- 1/4 of a Kabocha Squash skin on, chopped
- 2 Zucchini, chopped
- 4 cloves, Garlic
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 tsp No-Salt Added Poultry Seasoning
- 1 tsp ground Thyme
- 1-2 tsp Parsley
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1/4 cup White Wine
- 1 (15 oz) can No Salt Added Diced Tomatoes
- 1 Tblsp Tomato Paste
- 1 (15 oz) can Organic Kidney Beans, drained & rinsed
- 1 quart Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 2 cups Organic Salad Greens (mix of spinach, etc….)
- 2 Tblsp fresh Basil, finely chopped
- Sea Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Heat oil in a large pot of medium-high heat.
- Add chopped onion, celery, carrots, and kabocha squash. Cook 5-7 minutes until soft.
- Add zucchini & cook about 3 minutes more.
- Add garlic & cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add poultry seasoning, thyme, parsley, salt, & pepper. Stir to combine.
- De-glaze the pan with wine & add bay leaf. Allow alcohol to cook off for 1-2 minutes.
- Add canned tomatoes, tomato paste, beans, & broth. Bring to a low boil. Cover, reduce heat & allow to simmer for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, add the greens, basil, & adjust seasonings.
- Recover and simmer until greens are wilted.
- How do you decompress after a long week?
- Do you rock the high heels, or are you more of a sensible shoe wearer?