First thing’s first (my apologies to everyone who has already seen this)….
I AM A FINALIST TO WIN A TRIP TO ITALY!!!!!!!!!
Now, on to other business…..
With all the traveling I do, the last thing on my mind on my days off is grocery shopping. Actually, going anywhere is pretty much crossed off my list. I turn into a little homebody who would rather watch a movie oh Hulu and do a little P90X then go to the movie theater or a gym class.
with a fantastic breakfast that included a slice of Udi’s Cinnamon Raisin Bread topped with pumpkin puree (my fav!!!)
Then, I did a little interval training at my apartment’s gym, got a much needed hair cut, watched Dr. Dolittle 3, and played on Pinterest…. basically, I did a whole lot of nothing and loved it!
However, I had a friend coming over for dinner. I know he wouldn’t judge me for it, but I just couldn’t bring myself to serve him a Peanut Butter Sandwich for supper. I also couldn’t bring myself to go to the grocery store. Sooo….. I decided to create something new. I opened my refrigerator to find tofu and a few random vegetables. The cabinets revealed a dearth of grains so a stir-fry was out of the question. Plus, last time I made him a stir-fry I caught my BCBG Alpaca Poncho on fire. I plan on steering clear of the wok for a long while after that tragedy.
Then inspiration struck! A savory pancake? Why not? After all, Ethiopian’s eat Injera. The French have Socca. Why not make a savory pancake-like bread? That was the spark that I needed! Supper was born!
I had a general idea of how long things would take to cook. But, as I am learning, this new oven is super hot. Things cook a good 15-20 minutes faster than I expect them to. My monster hot oven paired with spicy red pepper flakes made for one hot and spicy supper!
Serving suggestion: Serve with roasted broccoli & onions, a fresh herb salad, and a dollop of Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream!
PS- Sorry about the sad picture. I couldn’t find my camera memory card and had to use my phone.
Indian Spiced Tofu
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1 block Soft Tofu
- 2 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/8 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 3 Tbsp Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 tsp Mirin
- Drain tofu and press to remove excess water. Press for a minimum of 1 hour, maximum overnight.
- Cut tofu into cubes, 1 block should yield around 24 pieces.
- In a measuring cup, combine the curry powder, cumin, turmeric, salt, red pepper flakes, olive oil, and mirin to make a marinade.
- Place the tofu in a container with a lid. Pour the marinade over the tofu and toss gently to evenly coat. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F and spray a baking sheet with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place the marinated tofu in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake tofu about 30 minutes, turning once at the 15 minute mark.
Savory Vegan Pancakes
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1/2 cup certified Gluten-Free Oat Flour
- 1/2 cup White Rice Flour
- 2 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 tsp Parsley
- 1 tsp Thyme
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- Black Pepper
- 1 1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- In a bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Slowly add the wet ingredients to the dry and mix until smooth.
- Preheat a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Drop batter by 1/3 cup onto preheated skillet. Cook about 3 minutes, until bubbles appear on the top of the pancake.
- Carefully flip and continue cooking until done, about 3 minutes.