I have 2 new comfort foods….
- Tofu – I love it plain, unpressed, pressed, baked, steamed…. You name it!
- Fried Rice – Introduced to me by my in-laws this past year, it is the perfect way to use leftover grains. It works perfectly with white rice, brown rice, quinoa, & even buckwheat!
I made Vegan Lasagna for Tita’s on Sunday and had some leftover firm tofu chill-axin in the refrigerator next to a container of leftover brown rice. To be honest, that’s how the inspiration for any fried rice dish comes about. Leftover lovin’ at its finest!
I had never made Fried Rice for GF Guy, even though it was one of his favorite meals. To be honest, I didn’t know how! I tried once & messed the entire thing up. (*NOTE: Do not crack an entire egg over top the rice and vegetables. That is NOT how it is done.) He was thrilled when I finished up my work and told him that’s what I was headed to the kitchen to make. You’ve got to love a guy who doesn’t run screaming from the room at the very mention of tofu!
Tofu Fried Rice
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free)
- 12 oz Nasoya Organic Light Firm Tofu, pressed
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium No Chicken Broth
- 4 Tblsp Bragg’s Liquid Aminos
- 1 Tblsp Lime Juice
- 2 Tblsp Light Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/4 tsp Chinese Five Spice Powder
- 2 Tblsp Grapeseed Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 Carrot, chopped
- 1/2 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 cup frozen Broccoli
- 1 cup frozen Peas
- 1 to 1 1/2 cups leftover cooked Brown Rice
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Herbamare & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, mix together broth, aminos, lime juice, agave, red pepper, & five spice powder. Marinate pressed tofu in this mixture for about 2 hours.
- Heat grapeseed oil in a wok over medium heat. While wok heats, cube tofu into bite-size pieces, reserving the marinade for later.
- Fry tofu in oil about 4 minutes per side, until golden. Remove from wok & set aside.
- Add onion & carrot to the wok & stir-fry until soft. Add the Zucchini.
- Next, the frozen veggies should be added to the wok. If veggies are sticking to the bottom of the pan, add a little of the reserved tofu marinade.
- When vegetables are soft & heated through, add the brown rice. Stir-fry until heated through. Add reserved tofu marinade.
- Create a well in the center of the rice mixture. Pour in the beaten egg. Allow to cook about 1 minute, then slowly incorporate the egg in to the rice & vegetables.
- Return the tofu to the pan & continue to cook until heated through.
- Serve on a bed of baby spinach.
What are your comfort foods?