I hope, my wonderful, tolerant readers, you do not feel used and abused.
It has, once again, been ages since my last post. So much has happened…. Work has somehow gotten busier and I began grad school. (Because I had soooo much free time to begin with…) The days when I began this blog, days when I had hours each day to spend playing in the kitchen and exploring new ingredients, are gone. Now, I am lucky if dinner involves more than steam vegetables and lentils and top them with salsa and, if I’m feeling particularly sassy, a little Daiya dairy-free cheese.
Today, however, was the day of the biggest football game in America, and I felt an overwhelming desire to prepare a football worthy feast. I made a small bowl of Guacamole, a delicious vegan crockpot chili, and a batch of gluten free corn muffins, and it was off to the races! …er…. football game.
I like my chili a bit on the soup-y side, so feel free to reduce the amount of vegetable broth to make yours thicker. Other than that, this recipe is a fairly straightforward crockpot dish that will leave your house smelling delicious!
Vegan Butternut Squash & Black Bean Chili
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1 Tblsp Olive Oil
- 5 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 1 tsp Chili Powder
- 1 tsp Cumin
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Ginger Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 2 Carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs Celery, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 small-medium Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped
- 2 green Bell Peppers, cored and chopped
- 2 Jalapeno Peppers, minced
- Herbamare (or sea salt) and Black Pepper, to taste
- 2.5 cups Low Sodium Vegetable Broth
- 28 oz can Fire Roasted Diced Tomatoes
- 2 tsp Rice Wine Vinegar
- 1 Tblsp Agave Nectar
- 1 Tblsp Lime Juice, about 1/2 a small lime
- Zest of 1/2 a lime
- Drizzle olive oil in the bottom of your crock pot. Add garlic, onion, and spices and stir to combine.
- Add al remaining ingredients except the lime juice and zest and stir to combine.
- Place the lid on your crock pot and set to low.
- Cool on low for 6 hours.
- Taste and adjust salt, pepper, agave ratio, as needed.
- Garnish with lime juice and zest before serving.