Ahhhh….. I just got back from this week’s work trip, and am thoroughly enjoying sitting on my couch watching Glee.
Not that my trip was awful. Quite the contrary! I got to spend a delightful evening cooking and taking in the sunset with my lovely sister in-law.
And come on, you can’t beat a view like this one….
But, it is ALWAYS good to be home and cooking in my little kitchen.
If you can’t tell from my last post, I am a little obsessed with soft-boiled eggs right now.
What’s not to love about them? You get a rich, creamy yolk without the mess of it sticking to a skillet! It’s genius, I tell you! GENIUS! …I also get overly excited about Jeopardy, so I’m not the most creditable judge….
Anyway, this recipe is definitely one for the vaults. The punch of acidity coupled with the earthy flavor of the beet greens and the creamy richness of the egg yolk creates sheer perfection in a bowl!
For those of you who are not egg lovers, this recipe would be equally delicious sans l’oeuf.
Quinoa with Beet Greens & Lemon
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1/4 cup Quinoa
- 1/2 cup Water
- 1 tsp Olive Oil
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- zest of 1 Lemon
- 1 cup Beet Greens, chopped
- Juice of 1/2 a Lemon
- 1/4 cup frozen Green Peas, defrosted
- 1 Tblsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1 tsp fresh Basil, minced
- 1 large, Organic Egg
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- Place quinoa and water in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Cover. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 12 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil, add the egg, and boil for 5 minutes. Remove promptly and cool slightly before gently removing the shell.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in a saute pan over medium heat. Add the garlic and lemon zest and saute until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the beet greens and lemon juice and saute until wilted. Add peas, nutritional yeast, fresh basil, salt & pepper, and cook until heated through.
- To serve, place the quinoa in a bowl, and top with the soft boiled egg.