For weeks on end, I have lacked inspiration in the kitchen.
I have fallen into the dangerously boring trap of tossing random vegetables & legumes in a skillet or steamer, topping with marinara sauce or Braggs, and calling it a day. It’s partly because I have no one to cook for, and partly because I have found an inspiring career into which I now pour the energy that I used to pour into my food.
Well, these last few weeks, I began to find a balance between my work and caring for myself. I started Pure Barre classes and recommitted myself to daily workouts & HIIT. I started taking a little more time to prepare meals and listening to what my body needed.
My pictures leave something to be desired. (I kept forgetting to charge my camera battery…..) The recipes, though, are another story. Delicious, nourishing, and comforting… Enjoy!
Vegan Cheezy Quinoa
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 1/2 cup Quinoa
- 1 cup Water
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened, Plain Almond Milk
- 1/3 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- 1.5 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 small clove Garlic, minced
- 1.5 Tblsp Cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp dry Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric
- 1 tsp Creamy Peanut Butter
- Black Pepper, to taste
- frozen Green Peas, defrosted
- 2 Tblsp Sundried Tomatoes
- 1 Tblsp fresh Basil, minced
- Place quinoa, water, & bay leaf in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil, cover with a lid, reduce heat to low, and simmer for 12-15 minutes, until all liquid is absorbed. Remove the bay leaf, fluff with a fork, and set aside.
- Make vegan cheeze sauce by placing almond milk, nutritional yeast, garlic, cornstarch, salt, dry mustard, paprika, turmeric, peanut butter, & black pepper in a blender and processing until smooth.
- Pour cheeze sauce over the quinoa in the saucepan and return to medium-low heat. Cook until sauce has thickened to desired consistency.
- Stir in the peas, sundried tomatoes, & fresh basil. Cook until heated through.