It’s been 3 weeks since we last shared a kitchen together. If your life has been anything like mine, it has been a bustle of holiday activity. I visited GF Guy for a week in Oklahoma. (And, yes, he LOVED the Banana Bread.) Then, I booked a last minute flight to Florida to spend the Thanksgiving holiday with my family. After having to say goodbye to GF Guy, and not having seen them in months, a trip home was necessary, for both my soul and my sanity!
My sisters are now gluten-free, as well, so our Thanksgiving meal was a GF smorgasbord of deliciousness. We used the new Glutino Stuffing Mix to make our stuffing this year, and, according to the gluten-eaters in the house, it tasted better than regular, “gluten-full” stuffing!
Score one for Glutino!
Beyond the main meal, my mom stocked up on every flavor of Udi’s Muffins she could find at her local grocery store. We had Blueberry Muffins and Double Chocolate Muffins and Cinnamon Rolls that were devoured by everyone from my dad to my 16 month old nephew as we played board games and decorated the family Christmas Tree. I was only there for 30 hours, but it was 30 hours of bliss.
Last week was spent driving around Idaho. This week, I will be in California. Next week, Portland is on the calendar. But, for now, I am home.
I took in a Christmas parade…
…decorated my tree…
… and spent some time with dear friends. I love being home. Especially since it gives me the opportunity to cook!
I started cooking without much forethought as to the end result. This caused a near panic attack during which I poured broth into the pan, threw on the lid, and just walked away, praying that the end result would be delicious. Guess what? IT WAS!
Indian-Spiced Halibut Curry
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 3/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1/3 tsp Black Pepper
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 3/4 tsp Mustard Powder
- 3/4 tsp Cinnamon
- pinch of Cloves
- pinch of Ginger
- 1 tsp Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
- 1/4 Yellow Onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup Baby Bella Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- 2 Tblsp Water
- 1/4 tsp Light Brown Sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chopped Green Kale & Carrots
- 1 Halibut Filet, about 1/3 lb
- 8 oz Vegetable Broth
- 1 Tblsp Tofutti Non-Hydrogenated Better Than Sour Cream
- In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, curry, mustard, cinnamon, cloves, & ginger. Set aside.
- Heat coconut spread in a large skillet over medium heat until melted.
- Add spice mixture and stir to combine. Cook 10-15 seconds until fragrant.
- Add the sliced onions and cook 2-3 minutes.
- Next, the mushrooms go into the pan with the onions. Allow to cook until mushrooms begin to sweat.
- Add minced garlic and cook about 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Add the chopped tomato, water, and brown sugar and cook another minute.
- Add the chopped kale and cook 2 minutes until kale begins to wilt.
- Move ingredients to the sides of the pan, creating a center space in which to place the fish, skin side down.
- Pour the broth around the fish.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and cook 6-8 minutes, until fish is opaque.
- Remove the skillet from the heat and stir in the Tofutti Better Than Sour Cream.
- Serve over rice.