I am, as much as this pains me to admit, sick….
A fever, chills, sore throat… The Trifecta.
Had you seen my shopping basket at Whole Foods a few hours ago, you would have steered clear! Wellness Blend, Sambuca, Vitamin C, Cold Season Tea….
I was like a walking germ alert. Kids, this is what happens when you move clear across the country from your family, your husband is traveling, and you get sick. You are left to fend for yourself. It’s not pretty. It’s not glamorous. This is, straight up, life, my friends! Currently, I have some sort of concoction of chicken broth and vegetables simmering in the crock pot. Not so sure how it will turn out, but at least I won’t have to think about making dinner later.
Before being slammed in the face by “the sickness”, I had a chance to play in the kitchen with one of my favorite ingredients, Brussel Sprouts! Since my head is about to explode, and I need another cup of tea, I am going to cut to the chase, and let you all get on to the recipe. Bon Appetit!
Shaved Brussel Sprouts & Fennel
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 1 tsp Coconut Oil
- 7-8 Brussel Sprouts, thinly sliced/shaved
- 1/4 tsp Red Pepper Flakes
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Black Pepper, to taste
- 2 Fennel Fronds, thinly sliced
- 1 large clove Garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup dry White Wine
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add brussel sprouts, red pepper flakes, season with salt and pepper, and saute 5-6 minutes.
- Add the fennel to the pan and cook 2 minutes more.
- Add the garlic and cook just until fragrant, about 1 minutes.
- Deglaze the pan with the wine, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to reduce, 5-7 minutes.