This dinner has a “great personality”…..
That’s a nice way of saying that it is ugly…. But, hey! It’s the taste that really counts, and this is one deliciously ugly dinner!
Friday afternoon, I rushed home from work to pack for a weekend getaway to visit my husband in LA. Having a few vegetables that needed to be used before I left, I drew inspiration from a favorite childhood casserole to create a dish that could bake while I packed. An hour later, the smell of curry laced the air, my weekend duffle was packed, the garbage was taken out, and I ate one last delicious meal before heading to the airport.
The inspiration for this recipe calls for “no-no” ingredients like condensed cream of chicken soup, breadcrumbs, and cheddar cheese. Instead of stressing out over these ingredients and attempting to recreate them in a gluten-free, dairy-free fashion, I used other ingredients that would mimic a similar flavor profile. Tofutti vegan sour cream and nutritional yeast flakes yielded the creamy, salty, slightly cheesy flavor I was looking for. Plus, let’s be honest, curry powder makes EVERYTHING better!
Curry Baked Chicken
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
- 1 head Broccoli, chopped
- 2 Tomatoes, chopped
- 3 Tbsp Vegan Sour Cream (Tofutti)
- 2 Tbsp Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- pinch Sea Salt
- 1/8 tsp Black Pepper
- 1/4 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 1/2 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 Tbsp Low Sodium Chicken Stock
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. (375 degrees F if cooking at high altitude)
- In a small bowl, mix together the vegan sour cream, nutritional yeast, salt, pepper, lemon juice, and curry powder. Stir until well combined.
- Place the chicken in the center of an 8×8 baking dish. Surround the chicken with the chopped broccoli and tomatoes.
- Pour the sour cream mixture over the chicken and broccoli and spread to coat.
- Tightly cover the baking dish with aluminum foil.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50-60 minutes, until chicken is cooked through.