….because sometimes simple is better.
Do you ever crave a plain-jane meal? No bells and whistles…. Just good, simple, straight forward flavors?
I sure do. Sometimes all my body wants are vegetables, pure and simple. I could just have a salad, but that’s not always the ticket around here. Last night, I was in a just such a veggie mood. I opened the crisper drawer, hauled out every last scrap of produce I could find, and set to work. I chopped and sauteed my little heart out (for all of 10 minutes) before sitting down to a heaping bowl of veggie goodness.
Naturally, I topped my bowl with mashed avocado for some heart healthy fats. I’ve noticed my clothes are getting a little loose lately. Time to amp up the fats in my diet again! For those of you who don’t know, I tend to lose weight fairly easily, especially when I’m not working out consistently (backwards sounding, I know…) I have to make sure to include a good amount of healthy fat in my diet to keep at a consistent weight.
My favorite fat sources are:
- Chia Seeds/Flax Seeds
- Coconut Oil
- Coconut Milk (Ice cream anyone?!)
What about you? What are your favorite healthy fats?
Simple Veggie Saute’ for One
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 1/4 tsp Coconut Oil
- 1/4 Yellow Onion, chopped
- 5 large Crimini Mushrooms, sliced
- 1 clove Garlic, minced
- 1/2 Zucchini, chopped
- 1 Roma Tomato, chopped
- Sea Salt & Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 Avocado, mashed
- Melt oil in a saute’ pan over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute’ about 5 minutes, until translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook 3 minutes, until they begin to sweat.
- Add zucchini and cook about 3-4 minutes more.
- Add garlic and saute’ 1 minute, until fragrant.
- Quickly add the chopped tomato to keep the garlic from burning.
- Cook until tomato begins to break down.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve topped with mashed avocado.