Happy Memorial Day!
I awoke at 7:30 this morning with a recipe idea on my mind. Does that ever happen to you?
Before my first sip of coffee, the spice grinder was out and chia seeds were pulsing away. By the time my coffee had cooled to a drinkable temperature, muffins were in the oven and the dishes were glistening on the drying rack. Something tells me it is going to be a productive day!
Full of fiber, these Chocolate Chia Oatmeal Muffins are an excellent on-the-go breakfast option. They are sugar-free and low-fat, as I subbed Pumpkin Puree for the usual oil.
My first bite was delicious, just a hint of sweetness that perfectly balanced the rich cocoa flavor. I then pulled a “me” and spooned pumpkin puree “icing” on top of the remaining muffin. Can’t get enough of my pumpkin puree! 😉 Enjoy!
Chocolate Chia Oatmeal Muffins
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Vegan)
- 2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free Quick Cooking Oats (or Quinoa Flakes)
- 1 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree
- 1/4 cup Walnuts, chopped
- 2 Tbsp Ground Chia Seeds
- 3/4 cup Unsweetened Vanilla Almond Milk
- 1/2 cup Water (add an extra 1/4 cup if cooking at a high altitude)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Creme Liquid Stevia
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and spray a muffin tin with non-stick cooking spray.
- Place all ingredients in a large bowl and stir until well combined.
- Spoon about 1/4 cup of batter into each muffin cup, should yield 12 muffins.
- Bake 9-12 minutes.
- Cool 3 minutes in the muffin tin before transferring to a cooling rack.
- To store: In an airtight container, refrigerate for up to 7 days or freeze for up to 180 days