It happened! I achieved grilled cheese nirvana!
A few of you may be scratching your heads, wondering how this is so since I don’t eat gluten or dairy. Well, my friends, Udi’s Gluten-Free Bread & Daiya Vegan Mozzarella make fantastic substitutes! They are so delicious, in fact, that GF Guy eats them and actually enjoys them! How’s that for an endorsement?
This month is National Grilled Cheese Month. What better time to introduce this beauty to the world? Originally inspired by a recipe on Pinterest that I made and was not 100% pleased with, my version is the perfect blend of sweet and savory with a decided POW! of BBQ tang.
Admittedly, BBQ sauce is my condiment version of kryptonite. I add it to meatballs… use it as a dip for celery and cucumber slices… I have even been known to drizzle BBQ sauce on a salad in place of dressing! But adding BBQ sauce to a grilled cheese? The idea seemed crazy, until now.
Sit back and prepare for cheesy heaven on a plate!
BBQ Sweet Potato & Avocado Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, peeled and sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds
- 1/2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp Paprika
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- 1/2 tsp pure Maple Syrup
- 2 slices Udi’s Gluten Free White Sandwich Bread
- Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- 3 Tbsp shredded Vegan Daiya Mozzarella Cheese
- 1/2 Avocado, thinly sliced
- 2 slices Tomato
- 1/4 cup Baby Spinach
- 2 tsp BBQ Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F, and line a baking tray with foil.
- Put sweet potato rounds in a medium bowl and drizzle with oil, cinnamon, paprika, salt, sugar, and maple syrup. Toss until evenly coated.
- Place sweet potato rounds in an even layer on the foil lined baking sheet and bake in preheated oven for 15-18 minutes, until soft.
- Once sweet potato rounds are finished cooking, begin assembling your sandwich.
- Start by lightly buttering the outside of the 2 slices of Udi’s bread with Earth Balance.
- Next, evenly sprinkle the shredded Daiya cheese on the inside of one slice of bread.
- Top cheese with 3-4 sweet potato rounds, 4 thin slices of avocado, 2 slices of tomato, and 1/4 cup baby spinach. Spread BBQ sauce on the inside of the second slice of bread, and place on top of the spinach.
- Heat a skillet sprayed with non-stick cooking spray over medium-low heat.
- Place sandwich in the skillet and cook until desired level of char is achieved and cheese begins to melt.
- Using a spatula, carefully flip the sandwich and continue cooking on the other side until done.