Spring has arrived early in Colorado, and I, for one, am thrilled!
Warm nights lounging on the patio with a glass of crisp white wine are in my very near future. I may even be tempted to invest in a small grill! There is something magical about the air in Colorado. It makes a person crave the outdoors, even if a person is a domestically inclined person, like myself.
Speaking of my domestic inclination…. Last weekend, I posted a recipe for homemade dog treats.
They finally arrived in Texas, where GF Guy and Dickens are currently performing. The verdict?
Dickens gobbled up his treat in mere seconds. Then, he proceeded to lick GF Guy’s hand with reckless abandon, sniffing and nuzzling for more! If you have puppies of your own, what are you waiting for? Get baking!
Now on to the people food. Spring has inspired me to reinterpret a traditionally heavy Italian dish, Chicken Cacciatore, into a light, meatless entree, perfect for the season. Sundried tomatoes and Dry Sherry lend a touch of richness to this otherwise earthy meal. Enjoy!
Spring Time Mushroom Cacciatore
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 1 tsp Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread
- 1/4 cup Yellow Onion, diced
- 2 Carrots, diced
- 1 pint sliced Baby Bella Mushrooms
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup Dry Sherry
- 2 cups Baby Spinach
- 1 1/2 Tbsp Sundried Tomatoes packed in Oil, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, spiralized (I use this Spiral Slicer)
- Nutritional Yeast Flakes, to taste
- Melt Earth Balance in a saute’ pan over medium high heat.
- Saute’ onion until translucent, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add carrots and cook 5 more minutes.
- Add sliced mushrooms and gently saute until mushrooms begin to release their liquid and soften, 7 minutes.
- Once mushrooms are soft, add minced garlic. Saute for 45-60 seconds, until fragrant.
- Deglaze the pan with 1/4 cup Dry Sherry.
- Add baby spinach, 1/2 cup at a time, and saute’ until wilted.
- Lastly, toss in the chopped sundried tomatoes and cook until heated through.
- Divide the spiralized zucchini noodles between two bowls and top with mushroom mixture and a sprinkling of nutritional yeast flakes.