This recipe is not for you.
It is for your best friend!
Many of you are familiar with my baby boy, Dickens.
He took such good care of me while GF Guy was out on the Rock of Ages tour last year. He slept with me, woke me up in the mornings, cuddled with me when I was lonely. He became my boyfriend and protector while my husband was away.
Fast forward to the present. With my new job, I am rarely home, and now GF Guy is back on the road. The only solution was for him to take Dickens on tour with him. Yes, my husband left me and took my dog!
My only comfort is knowing the Dickens is keeping him company. The road can be such a lonely place. At least I get to come home to my own bed on the weekends. GF Guy, on the other hand, will be living in hotels for the foreseeable future. He probably needs our puppy more than I do.
This weekend, I put together a little care package for my baby/puppy. Included were homemade gluten-free dog treats. I used ingredients I had on hand to create a healthy treat that a human could “technically” eat if he or she wanted to. Personally, I don’t think I would be a huge fan of the beef stock/peanut butter combo… But, hey… To each his own!
The process was fairly simple
and not too time consuming.
I will definitely make a version of these again!
All you readers out there with a case of Puppy-Love, this recipe is for you!
Homemade Gluten-Free Dog Treats
- 1/2 cup certified Gluten-Free Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 cup boiling Beef Broth, made from Bouillon Granules
- 1 tsp Organic Sugar
- 1 tsp Beef Bouillon Granules
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1/4 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 1/2 tsp Flax Meal mixed with 1 1/2 Tbsp Hot Water
- 1 1/2 cups Brown Rice Flour, plus more for dusting
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees F. (425 degrees F for high altitude)
- In a large glass bowl, combine the oats, olive oil, and boiling beef broth. Let sit for 10 minutes.
- Add sugar, beef bouillon, water, peanut butter, and flax meal mixture to the oats and stir until thoroughly combined.
- Add the brown rice flour, 1/4 cup at a time, until dough comes together to form a mold-able ball.
- Dust a glass cutting board with extra brown rice flour and place dough in the center of the cutting board. Lightly dust dough and rolling pin with brown rice flour.
- Roll out dough to about 1/4″ thickness.
- Using a bone shaped cookie cutter, cut out dog treats and place on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Bake in preheated oven for 15 minutes.
- Cool completely on a cooling rack before storing in an airtight container.
This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesday at SS&GF and Gluten Free Wednesdays at the Gluten Free Homemaker.