The meat that GF Guy & I eat is purely determined by what is on sale. Last week, I spotted some All-Natural, GF Chicken Sausage on sale at Target.
I bought some and threw it in my freezer, knowing it would come in handy at some point. That “some point” came faster than I thought it would!
I have been seeing Risotto all over the blog-o-sphere lately. That got me thinking. It has been literally over a year since I have made Risotto. That travesty had to be rectified, and quickly!
Some people hate standing over the stove for the 45 minutes plus that it takes to make Risotto. The constant stirring drives them mad. Me? I find it therapeutic. You don’t have to think or rush around. You are forced to simply stand and stir. For a busy, buzzy, little person like myself, this is a form of meditation, and a delicious one, at that!
I didn’t take a picture because the lighting was bad, and I knew it would come out looking unappetizing. I was planning on taking a photo today with the leftovers. However…. there were no leftovers! Take that for what it’s worth! 😉
Chicken Sausage Quinoa Risotto
- 1 cup Vegetable Broth
- 2 1/2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 Tomato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Yellow Onion, finely chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup Dry Sherry
- 1 cup Quinoa
- 3 links cooked Gluten-Free, All-Natural Spinach & Garlic Chicken Sausage, sliced into 1/4″ thick rounds
- 2 tsp dried Parsley
- 1 tsp dried Rosemary
- 1 bag Baby Spinach
- 1/4 cup Nutritional Yeast Flakes
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a small saucepan, combine vegetable broth, chicken broth, and chopped tomato. Bring to a simmer.
- In a larger pot, heat oil. Saute’ onion until translucent. Add garlic and cook about 30 seconds more.
- Pour the quinoa into the pot with the onion and lightly toast it, about 1 minute.
- Deglaze the pot with the dry sherry, stirring until absorbed.
- Reduce heat to medium low.
- Stirring constantly, add the broth mixture 1/2 cup at a time. Stir until broth is absorbed before adding more.
- When you are down to about 1/2 cup of broth remaining, add the sliced chicken sausage, herbs, 3/4 bag of spinach, nutritional yeast, salt, & pepper.
- Add the remaining broth, and cook until absorbed and all ingredients are heated through.
- Serve over remaining spinach.
This post is linked to Gluten-Free Wednesdays at The Gluten-Free Homemaker.