I rarely cook breakfast, unless it’s breakfast for dinner.
Usually, I will have a protein shake or some cereal and fruit. GF Guy is content with yogurt and granola. Our mornings are pretty low maintenance. Today, however, was different. GF Guy was heading off to a new job! I wanted to make sure he had a balanced breakfast to fuel him through a day of rehearsal, meeting new people, and settling in to a new working environment.
I rolled out of bed and took Dickens for a good walk while GF Guy made coffee. Then, I pushed up the sleeves of my sexy Bentley University Ice Hockey sweatshirt (Go Team!) and set to work creating a morning masterpiece.
French Toast is one of GF Guy’s favorite breakfast treats. Sadly, I have been a neglectful wife and NEVER made it for him! That all changed this morning. His “yums” were evidence enough that he has forgiven my remissness and I am, once again, a “perfect” wife! 😉
Gluten Free French Toast
- 4 slices Udi’s Millet-Chia Bread
- 1/2 cup Unsweetened Plain Almond Milk
- 1 large Egg, beaten
- 1 Tbsp Agave Nectar
- 1/2 tsp pure Vanilla Extract
- pinch Salt
- 1 Tbsp Vegan Butter Substitute (I like Earth Balance)
- pure Maple Syrup, warmed for serving
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. (400 degrees for high altitude)
- In a measuring cup, combine the almond milk, egg, agave, vanilla, and salt. Pour into a shallow 8×8 pan.
- Soak bread in the almond milk mixture, 30 seconds per side.
- Meanwhile, melt butter substitute in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Toast bread in the skillet until desired doneness, about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Place toasted bread directly on the rack in your preheated oven, and cook about 5 minutes longer.
- Serve with warm maple syrup.