I spent my entire day on a plane flying from Colorado to Florida, which I have been doing every Monday for at least the past 2 months. I arrived at my in-laws house to find my mother in-law AND father in-law out of town. Being the scavenger that I am, I rooted around their refrigerator to find a large bag of chopped vegetables, leftover plain rice, and little else. Having traveled all day, I had little to no inclination to cook. So, I settled on Fried Rice. Packed with plenty of vegetables, this is a relatively healthy meal with little effort for those lazy days. It is also a great way to use up leftover ingredients.
Tomorrow, I head down toward Miami where I will spend the night with my little sister. It’s so nice having family all over the state!
Without further ado, here is tonight’s recipe. I am going to enjoy a glass of wine now! 😉
Vegetable Fried Rice
- 2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
- 1/4 cup Onion, chopped
- 1 cup Mixed Vegetables (broccoli, cauliflower, carrots)
- 1/4 cup frozen Corn Kernals
- 1/4 cup frozen Green Peas
- 1/4 to 1/3 cup leftover cooked Rice
- 1 Egg, beaten
- Gluten-Free Soy Sauce
- Heat oil in a large skillet or wok over medium-high heat.
- Saute’ onion until translucent. Add the mixed vegetables and saute until tender, 5-9 minutes.
- Add the frozen vegetables and cook 1 minute more.
- Add the cooked rice and cook 1 minute.
- Move the vegetables and rice to the sides of the pan to create a well in the center.
- Pour the beaten egg in the center of the pan and cook about 1 minute, until it just begins to cook.
- Gently scramble the egg and stir into the vegetables and rice.
- Season with desired amount of soy sauce and serve over a bed of fresh spinach.