Happy Monday! I had, yet another, wonderful weekend with GF Guy and Dickens.
Friday night, we tried a new restaurant called Tag Raw Bar.
It was awesome, and yes, they had GF Tamari for me instead of soy sauce. I had GF Miso Soup and two different sushi rolls with wasabi foam. It was foodie heaven! Saturday, involved going out for brunch, a trip to Whole Foods, a romp through some snow, a trip to the Denver Art Museum, and a yummy dinner of homemade hamburgers, sweet potato fries, & roasted brussels sprouts.
Like I told you last week, my body has been craving meat. I really have no clue what is going on! I’m normally such a beans and tofu girl and I normally loathe red meat. Oh well, I wanted a burger on Saturday and we had red meat again on Sunday!
Sunday was a fantastically lazy day. We went to church in the AM and then spent the rest of the day at home relaxing, doing laundry, making dinner, and watching the Broncos v. Steelers football game. (It was an awesome game wasn’t it?!)
I’ve gotten into the habit of making a huge meal on Sunday so GF Guy will have plenty of leftovers to eat while I’m out of town. On my flight Friday, I came across an unusual Beef Stew recipe in inStyle magazine that I just had to try. I changed a few things from the original recipe and it turned out deliciously sweet and spicy with just the right touch of acid. GF Guy will be enjoying these leftovers all week long!
This post is linked to Slightly Indulgent Tuesdays at Simply Sugar & Gluten-Free.
Sweet & Spicy Beef Stew
Generously adapted from inStyle Magazine, January 2012
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Nut-Free)
Photo courtesy of GF Guy and his iPhone
- 3 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 3 lbs Beef Chuck Roast, in 1″ cubes
- 2 medium Onions, diced
- 3 cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium Sweet Potato, cubed
- 1 Apple, chopped
- 1 can Crushed Pineapple
- 1/2 cup Red Wine
- 1 quart Low-Sodium Chicken Broth
- 2 cups Apple Cider
- 1 (14.5oz) can Diced Tomatoes
- 1/4 cup Organic Grape Tomatoes
- 3/4 cup Fish Sauce
- 3/4 cup GF Worcestershire Sauce (Lea & Perrins is GF in the USA)
- 3 Tbsp Balsamic Vinegar
- 2 Tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 Tbsp Red Curry Paste
- 1 tsp Curry Powder
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 cup frozen Peas, defrosted
- Salt & Black Pepper, to taste
- In a (very) large pot, heat 1 Tbsp oil over high heat. Add half of the cubed beef to the pot and season with pepper. Brown meat (5-7 minutes) and remove.
- Add another Tbsp of oil to the pot and repeat with the remaining cubed beef. Remove from the pot and set aside.
- Add another Tbsp oil to the pot along with the onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes before adding the carrots. Cook 2 minutes.
- Add the sweet potato, apple, pineapple, and wine. Simmer 5-7 minutes to reduce the liquid by half.
- Add the cooked beef, chicken broth, cider, tomatoes, fish sauce, Worcestershire sauce, vinegar, mustard, curry paste, curry powder, and cinnamon to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer.
- Cover and simmer until the beef cubes fall apart easily when poked with a fork, about 4-5 hours.
- The last hour of cooking stir in the peas.
- Adjust seasonings and serve immediately.
So, how was your weekend? Did you do anything fun and exciting?