Happy Valentine’s Day!
Today’s Valentine’s Day treat was inspired by Kristen of Simpy Savor. Her blog is not gluten-free, but has some wonderful recipes. I encourage all of you to check it out!
I stumbled upon her recipe for Vegan Cayenne You Be My Valentine? Dark Chocolate Brownies and was instantly intrigued. Talk about a “red hot” valentine!
I took her recipe and made the necessary GF substitutions. Then, I played with the sweeteners, using coconut nectar and beet juice, and coconut milk & a new fair trade baking bar by Sunspire. (LOVE!!!)
**WARNING** – DO NOT let unsuspecting people eat these brownies. While my dad and I did not find them to be overly spicy, my mother ended up with her face in the sink guzzling water directly out of the faucet! HAHAHAHAHA!!!!
Vegan Dark Chocolate Cayenne Brownies
(Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan)
- 3/4 cup Brown Rice Flour
- 1/4 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit & Baking Mix
- 1 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Cayenne Pepper
- 1/3 cup Canola Oil
- 1/4 cup Light Brown Sugar
- 1/4 cup Beet Juice
- 1/4 cup Coconut Milk
- 1/4 cup Coconut Nectar
- 2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 6 squares Sunspire Organic Fair Trade 65% Cacao Semi-Sweet Baking Bar, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, combine the dry ingredients.
- In a large bowl combine the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet, being careful not to over mix. Stir just until combined.
- Fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour batter into prepared baking pan and spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven 30-35 minutes.
- Allow to cool completely in the pan before cutting and serving.
**I recommend topping with Soyatoo Rice Whip, which your Valentine will undoubtedly have fun with, too! (wink)**