…Let’s be honest. I’m really only there for the food! Any excuse to play hostess is fine by me!
I sent out the Facebook E-vites, planned the menu, cleaned the house, and got ready to get my house-wife on! Family and friends filled our little house with warmth and laughter. For one shining night, GF Guy was home, our house was filled with love, and all was right in the world!
Prep for our Super Bowl Snack-Down began Saturday, as I created the dry rub for our Pulled Pork (follow the link for the recipe) and massaged it into two 3.5 lb Organic, Bone-in Pork Shoulders. Wrapped tightly in plastic wrap, they went to bed for 12 hours on the top shelf of our refrigerator. At 8 o’clock Sunday morning, in the crock pot they went along with a little water and Liquid Smoke, and there they remained for the next 8-10 hours until they were quite literally falling off the bone.
This is quite possibly my father’s FAVORITE recipe of all time. He flew in from Massachusetts and came straight from the airport to our house. He may say it was to see me, but I know the truth…. It was really for the Pulled Pork… We also had Vegan Seven Layer Dip and Bok-Choy & Salsa for our appetizers, Collard Greens & Rainbow Chard with Black Garlic, Roasted Kobocha Squash & Sweet Potato Fries, & Roasted Vegetables (Courtesy of my Mother in-law).
Next step, Vegan Chocolate Chip Walnut Brownies went into the oven. (It’s seems oxy-moronic making vegan baked goods while I had 7 lbs of pork in the slow cooker, but c’est la vie!)
I used the Namaste Brownie Mix and added my own mix-ins. Truth be told, I’m trying to clean out our cabinets!
Walnuts, carob chips, & dairy-free chocolate chunks made it into the mix and melted into gooey perfection.
- 1/2 cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 3-4 sprigs fresh Rosemary
- Place ingredients in a small saucepan over low heat and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and allow to come to room temperature.
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit & Baking Mix
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Yellow Cornmeal
- 1/2 cup Turbinado Sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Sea Salt
- 1 tsp chopped fresh Rosemary
- 1 cup (8oz) Vegenaise Vegan Mayonnaise
- Egg Replacer for 1 Large Egg
- 1/4 cup Rosemary Infused Olive Oil
- 2 Tblsp Water
- Fresh Rosemary for garnish
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F, and spray an 8×8 pan with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.
- Add wet ingredients and stir by hand until combined.
- Scrape into prepared pan and spread evenly with a damp spatula.
- Top with Rosemary leaves.
- Bake in preheated oven about 30 minutes until golden.
- Cool in pan on a wire cooling rack.