It may not feel like it outside, but Fall is in the air!
You need only look at the produce department bursting with organic winter squash, shiny apples, and sweet pears to get in the festive Fall mood.
Pears are my particular favorite seasonal fruit. Did you know pears are an excellent source of fiber, containing 5 grams per fruit? This time of year, look for Anjou, Bosc, & Comice Pears. They are at their peak of season in mid to late November.
Tired of simply eating plain pears, or looking for a new dessert idea?
Try this recipe for Autumn Pear Cake! It is free of refined sugar, dairy-free, can be made gluten-free, and can be made completely vegan! Versatile, good for you, AND delicious?! Now THAT is something to be thankful for!
Autumn Pear Cake
- 2 cups Anjou Pears, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 cup Madhava Light Agave Nectar
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp Cloves
- 1 tsp Lemon Juice
- 1 cup Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Biscuit and Baking Mix (or regular All-Purpose Flour)
- 3/4 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 1/3 cup Pecans, finely chopped
- 2 eggs (or EnerG Egg Replacer for 2 Eggs)
- 1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
- 1/3 cup Coconut Oil, melted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Line an 8×8 baking pan with foil or parchment paper and spray with non-stick cooking spray.
- Combine pears, agave, cinnamon, cloves, and lemon juice.
- Set aside.
- In a medium bowl, combine baking mix, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and pecans.
- In a large bowl, whisk eggs, vanilla, and coconut oil until well combined.
- Add pear mixture to the wet ingredients.
- Slowly add dry ingredients to wet, mixing until combined. Batter will be thick.
- Pour batter into prepared pan and spread evenly with a spatula.
- Bake 35-45 minutes, until set.
- Allow to cool completely before slicing.
Enjoy this subtly sweet cake topped with Larry & Luna’s Vegan Coconut Bliss Ice Cream.
It’s nice to enjoy a little taste of fall… even if it is close to 90 degrees outside!