I joined a CSA! Check this out! My father in-law’s 2nd cousin (did you catch that?) owns the local community farm, so we decided to buy a share. Thursday, we picked up our first harvest of the season. I was so excited to dig in! We received one “controversial” vegetable…. the EGGPLANT!
My mother in-law and sister in-law firmly declared their distaste for this defenseless little vegetable, while my father in-law praised its amazing taste and flavor…. when cover in batter and deep fried!!!!
Determined to change all of their minds, I set out to create a healthy and delicious meal featuring our eggplant, and the rest of our gorgeous, local produce.
The result was a resounding success! Everyone now likes eggplant, and we can live happily ever after!
- 1-2 Tblsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 4 cloves Garlic, minced
- 1 large Eggplant, chopped
- 1 Green Bell Pepper, chopped
- 1 Zucchini, chopped
- 2 Yellow Squash, chopped
- 2 “palmfuls” Thyme
- 1 Bay Leaf
- 1 (28oz) can Eden Foods Just Diced Tomatoes (Eden cans are BPA Free and have no salt added!)
- 1/2 cup fresh Basil, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh Italian Parsley, chopped
- Sea Salt and Black Pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup Balsamic Vinegar
- Place the chopped eggplant in a colander and sprinkle with salt. Allow to “sweat” about 20 minutes. Rinse. Dry.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium-high heat.
- Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Add the eggplant and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add the other chopped vegetables and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add the remaining ingredients, reduce heat to medium, and allow to reduce, about 8-10 minutes.
- Serve over Polenta!