Sunday I did something I have never done before.
This something has always intimidated me. In hindsight, it was a silly thing to be scared of. It turned out to be rather simple and fun!
Okay, okay… enough suspense! I made……..
A TWO LAYER CAKE!!!!!!!!!
This was the most moist, delicious cake on the planet! The occasion was my Pop’s birthday. He is 80-some-odd years old and cuter than ever! Look at him enjoying all the attention on his big day!
I used the King Arthur Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix. The cake was springy, light, and sheer perfection!
For the frosting, I was inspired by GF Guy, and every male member of his family, to make a Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting. The men on his side of the family are obsessed with everything Peanut Butter!
Vegan Peanut Butter Frosting
- 1/2 cup Earth Balance Non-Dairy Buttery Sticks, softened
- 1 cup organic Creamy Peanut Butter
- 5-7 Tblsp Unsweetened Almond Milk
- 2 cups organic Confectioners Sugar
- Place the Earth Balance and Peanut Butter in a medium bowl and beat with an electric mixer on medium speed.
- Gradually mix in the sugar.
- When mixture becomes thick begin adding the Almond Milk, one tablespoon at a time, until all sugar is incorporated and frosting is thick and spreadable.
- Beat at least 3 minutes for frosting to become thick and fluffy.
This was a remarkably light combination. Not too sweet or rich, it did not sit in your stomach after being eaten, as many frosted cakes do.
Everyone raved about it. In fact, I’ve already had a request for my cousin’s birthday!
What was is your favorite cake/frosting flavor combination?
– I have a thing for German Chocolate Cake, probably because it is my mom’s favorite! (Love you Mom!)