Tonight, I arrived home from work with a bottle of Root Beer. This may not seem strange to you, but it is if you know me. I don’t drink soda… EVER! So, what was I doing with a giant bottle of Root Beer? I had an idea, a crazy strange idea. It all began on last weekend’s road trip. My father in-law bought a giant bottle of root beer for a dollar at a random truck stop along the way. The smell was deliciously rich and sticky and sweet. I am embarrassed to admit, I wanted a sip! I decided instead to make a Root Beer Cake! It sounds strange, but it is surprisingly yummy and a fun twist on a classic!
Root Beer Float Cake
- 1 pkg. Bob’s Red Mill Vanilla Cake Mix
- 1/4 cup Oil
- 3 Eggs
- 12 oz. Virgil’s Root Beer plus 3 Tablespoons, divided
- 1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease and flour a Bundt Cake pan.
- In a large bowl, combine the cake mix, oil, eggs, and 12 oz root beer. Stir until smooth.
- Pour batter into prepared Bundt pan and bake 35-40 minutes, until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean.
- Cool in pan 15 minutes. Turn out onto a plate to continue cooling.
- Meanwhile, prepare glaze by whisking together powdered sugar and 3 Tblsp. root beer until smooth.
- Poke holes around the cake every 2 inches with a wooden skewer. Pour glaze over cake being sure to pour into holes.
- Serve with Vanilla Ice Cream (regular or coconut milk).
Do you drink soda now, or did you as a kid? What is/was your favorite? What is your beverage of choice now?