I have a recipe to share with you today…
But first, confession time….
I am feeling a little blue. After two glorious weeks with my husband and puppy, I had to drive them to the airport to head back out on tour. Sigh…. I decided to adopt this quote by Marilyn Monroe as my mantra for the day:
I am so thankful for the wonderful two weeks GF Guy and I did have together. So many people don’t even get that. So, in an effort to keep my chin up, I devoted the rest of the day to doing low key things I enjoy. I vaccumed and scrubbed our new apartment, baked a cake, and watched too many episodes of Dawson’s Creek on Netflix.
First things first, who wants a mini-tour of our new apartment?
I didn’t rush around making the place look like a magazine before I took these pictures. Just embrace the crooked tea towels and water glass on the coffee table.
Here is my kitchen where all the magic happens. Notice the sweet 18-bottle built in wine rack over the refrigerator!
Next we have scenes from my living room.
I have a meeting with an upholsterer on Friday to have the green chair and sofa recovered. They don’t exactly match my design aesthetic, but are excellent quality Ethan Allen pieces that were given to us by my parents. It just makes sense to recover them, versus replacing them.
This is my favorite wall
And lastly, the bedroom
A work in progress, but we love it!
And now on to the food! A few weeks ago, I received a package in the mail from my favorite Fairy Blog-Mother with some gorgeous Golden Figs.
I fully intended to use them to make Fig Newtons. Then, I tasted them. HOLY GOODNESS!!!!! I will never look at a dried fig the same way! These figs literally screamed flavor and elegance. My grand plans for fig newtons suddenly seemed unworthy of these golden pillows of glory.
A new plan emerged and a lesson was learned. ALWAYS taste your ingredients. You never know what they may inspire. In my case, they inspired a delicious, fluffy cake laced with Bourbon Vanilla and lightly sweetened with golden, organic honey. I hope this recipe inspires you!
Bourbon Vanilla Fig Cake
(Gluten Free, Dairy Free)
- 1 1/2 cups Gluten-Free, Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats (or quinoa flakes)
- 1/4 cup Sorghum Flour
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Baking Soda
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Xanthum Gum
- 2 large Eggs
- 1 1/4 cups Unsweetened, Original Almond Milk (1 1/2 cups if at a high altitude)
- 1 Tbsp Lemon Juice
- 2 tsp Bourbon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Honey
- 1/4 cup Earth Balance Vegan Buttery Spread, softened
- 1 tsp Cinnamon
- 6 Golden Figs, chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (375 if at a high altitude)
- Prepare dairy-free buttermilk substitute by combining Almond Milk and Lemon Juice and letting sit for 10 minutes, until slightly curdled in appearance.
- Process rolled oats in a food processor until in achieves a course, flour-like consistency.
- Add sorghum flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and xanthum gum to the food processor and pulse until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, almond “buttermilk”, vanilla, honey, Earth Balance, and cinnamon until well combined.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and whisk until just combined.
- Gently fold in the chopped figs.
- Pour batter into a lightly greased 8×8 square baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven for 35-40 minutes, until a knife inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Cool completely before cutting.